Our vegetables are grown in raised beds and when we first put them in 3 years ago we used a mixture of Rich Black Soil from the Tujunga Canyons, Super Soil ~ Potting Soil (Brown Bag), Super Soil ~ Enriched Planting Compost (Purple Bag) as a base, several bags of worm castings, and also added plenty of our very own home compost.
Three years later we've learned how to imitate rich organic soil with the following recipe:
- 1/2 Bucket Super Soil ~ Potting Soil (Brown Bag)
- 1/2 Bucket Home Compost
- 2 Handfuls of Worm Castings
- 1 Handful of Bloodmeal (yucky but certainly necessary!)
- 1 Handful of Bonemeal (once again yucky but really good for the veggies)
- MIX VERY WELL :) Use your hands :) its much more fun that way :)
We live on top of a sandstone hill and there are plenty of small areas that we grow directly into the soil. We use a mixture of compost, worm castings, and mulch to amend those parts.
There you have it, not too difficult, eh? If you guys have any special questions, don't be shy and simply ask :) Those of you who we have had a pleasure to talk to or meet know that Eric and I love to teach you guys our gardening methods :)
Special thanks to Aaron & Dawn for inquiring about the soil :) (Aaron how's your garden doing?)